77 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1M2
Tel • (416) 966-8800
Fax • (416) 966-8801
800 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20006
Tel • (202) 293-0900
Fax • (202) 293-0988
We can help you structure your prospective business venture to mitigate political and other risks under international treaties. We can also help you in the event that a dispute arises. We have represented clients involved in disputes in North and South America, as well as Eastern Europe, including under the UNCITRAL and ICSID Arbitration Rules. We have the experience and the proven ability to meet the legal, linguistic and logistical demands of resolving international disputes, including disputes with governments.
Areas in which we frequently advise include the following:
- International investment law and bilateral and multilateral investment protection treaties, including the North American Free Trade Agreement and Energy Charter Treaty
- Structuring investments to optimize benefits under international agreements and to mitigate political and other risks
- Investor-state arbitration and international commercial arbitration, including representing clients throughout arbitration proceedings, collecting evidence, drafting pleadings and submissions, acting as advocates at hearings, annulment proceedings, and enforcing awards in domestic courts
- State regulation of foreign investments, including the expropriation of property rights
- International trade and WTO law, including customs, anti-dumping and subsidies law
- Dispute resolution agreements for business transactions, including arbitration clauses
- International environmental agreements, including the Kyoto Protocol and issues relating to the issuance and trading of carbon emission credits
- International treaty negotiations
- Diplomatic privilege and sovereign immunity
We have extensive experience of dealing with the unique issues arising out of disputes between foreign investors and governments. We work together with clients to resolve disputes with governments in a pragmatic and de-politicized manner.
We also have experience of representing clients under the ICSID (International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes), UNCITRAL (United Nations Commission on International Trade Law), AAA (American Arbitration Association), and ICC (International Chamber of Commerce) arbitration rules.
We edit the reports of investor-state cases for Westlaw (Appleton-ISR). Members of our practice have also served as members of International Law Association Committees and seminar leaders at the Universities of Toronto and New York (NYU). They often give presentations at legal and industry conferences. As active participants in the international law community, we have first-hand knowledge of the arbitrators and counsel who work in this field around the world.